Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday.  

(c) Hlushak Creative
Today we remember Jesus, the cross, and why he gave his life for us.

The reality of my own depravity ironically gets lost in a sea of me.  I easily forget the sheer darkness that covered me, the juxtaposition of wonderful impossibility that separated me from God.  Forgetting that I, in and of myself, have no hope of detachment from my own perversion.  I am a slave to sin, a slave bound to following every corrupt inkling, every irrational fear, always fighting for my own gain, unable to ever part from failure.

Today is a day to remember what the cross really means; what Jesus endured to enable us to have relationship with him.

Today is the Great Exchange.

"God did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all."

My life for His.

Each day we will be distracted, and often we return to being unaware of what Jesus did for us.  I encourage you, my friends, to pursue Jesus today.  That we all might be humbled by his love and obedience.  That we might remember why he died.  That gratitude would well up in our hearts and spill into our lives.

Last year Andy and I started a tradition we hope to carry on as long as we have breath.  On Good Friday we set aside time in the evening with a couple from our community.  Together we reflect on the cross.  We worship.  We pray.  We seek God.  We thank Him.  Together we remember.  We take communion. We read Scripture.  We listen.   We rejoice.

It's simple.  It's beautiful.  It's humbling.

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.  But he was pieced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."
Isaiah 53:4-5

You can make Good Friday a time repentance and remembrance; a place to direct your eyes on Jesus, taking your family or friends into a place of humble reflection.

We reflect on Good Friday, looking ahead to Easter Sunday, because
Jesus. . .is. . .Risen.  We are forgiven.

(c) Hlushak Creative

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Popular Posts