Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Treat: Hlushak Macs

Have ever confessed to you my deep love for coconut?  It's delicious.  I mean, when I think about the shredded bits of wonder my salivary glands start streaming like a breached dam.

It used to be a chore to eat.  I'd take a bite of cookie with sneaky little coconut bits hiding behind a chocolate chip.  Ten minutes later, Surprise!  I'm still gnawing on slivers that won't dissolve.

But things are different now. . .maybe it all began in 2008 when I traveled across the seven seas over Russian tundras, and past Hello Kitty, to find the coconut.
Despite popular belief, I am not making out with the coconut.
My Bapak ("dad" in the background), climbed a tree with a machete in mouth and cut down a real live coconut for me.  Tucked deep within the shell was water (not milk people, coconuts are not from the bovine familia), and I feasted for a moment.

I tried to convince Andy to let me swing by Indonesia on grocery shopping day to ensure the freshest coconut.  Apparently coconut is not as important to him because he said no.

Now I just buy Bob Red Mill's bag of unsweetened shredded coconut and go cocoNUTS!  I sneak it in a lot of things:  homemade granola, oatmeal, curry, cookies, my bed.  I have used it to top cupcakes and my toast; I even have homemade deodorant made from coconut oil (thanks, Suz!).

Well, last night Andy and I spent Good Friday with some friends.  Dessert was on the menu and after I found out I was joining fellow coconut fans, I decided I wanted to try to make Macaroons, which, I discovered that night, are traditional Easter and Passover treats.  (I guess because they're kosher-woo!)

FOUR Ingredients people.  This could go in a man's cookbook.

Hlushak (Easter) Macs

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp (kosher) salt
1/2 cup honey
1-2 cups unsweetened (finely) shredded coconut
Optional:  semi sweet chocolate chips, melted for dipping

Preheat oven to 325.  Open window to vent burning smell that's emitted from oven because last nights dinner had a few spills.

Beat egg whites and salt until almost stiff.

Add honey.  Note-I added 1/2 cup of honey and my macaroons were pretty sweet.  I may reduce this measurement for future macaroons.

Beat until stiff peaks form.

Fold in coconut.  I used about 1.5 cups until the texture was thick enough to stand in ball form.  You can use more or less coconut-whatever is looking appropriate for that moment in time.

I hope you registered for that kitchen aid.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.  VERY IMPORTANT, unless you want to eat your macaroons straight off the baking pan, it is highly recommended to line the baking sheet to prevent sticking.

Scoop tablespoon "blobs" out and place on parchment paper.

Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.

Let cool and then gently peel off baking sheet.  Dip in chocolate.

YUM!  I had two for breakfast this morning.

Hlushak (Easter) Macs.
There you have it.  A simple, gluten-free, healthier dessert (kosher too), that takes about 25 minutes to make.  Apparently the cleaning part takes about 12 hours because the dishes are still dirty this morning.



Happy Easter!

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?"
Luke 24:5b


1 comment:

  1. Oh man! If you swing by Indonesia, I would go with you! I loved getting coconuts fresh from the trees! Those guys with their machetes were amazing! Selamat Hari Paskah!

    ReplyDelete

Recent Popular Posts