Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quinoa Porridge on a Snowy Morning

Today I woke up in the guest bedroom. . .on purpose.  The wind is just too intense sometimes and the way it hits Andy and I's bedroom window produces howls unfit to be sung at night.  But the wind doesn't care if I want to sleep.  So Andy and I migrated to the land of stacked books, miscellaneous cords, and dust to settle in for a long winter's slumber because the wind seems less offensive in bedrooms facing south.

Waking up to snow.


Last night I cooked the magical grain, quinoa, and set some aside to make quinoa porridge this morning. Quinoa is not only a grain, but a complete protein, which means it contains all nine amino acids.  And since I don't really know what I'm talking about, you can learn more about this "gold of the Incas" by going here.

Move over dinner, you're about to get served. . .or unserved, rather.  Quinoa is now for breakfast.

Quinoa Porridge:  Breakfast of Champions

What you'll need:
1 cup pre-cooked quinoa
1/4-1/2 cup milk, soy milk, or water (or combination)
1/4 cup shredded unsweeted coconut flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
patience

Place cooked quinoa and liquid in small pot over medium heat.

Bring to a bubble and stir frequently.

Add coconut.  I love coconut.  I really added 1/4 cup.  You might want to add a little less.

Keep stirring.

Add spices and honey.  You can also add molasses or maple syrup, or agave nectar.  Stir.

Place lid on pot as long as there is still liquid cooking.  Add more liquid if you want your porridge creamier.

This is an estimate (depending on the amount of liquid you used) but let it cook for maybe five minutes until the liquid is cooked into the quinoa.

Serve with tea.



Really, you can let your imagination run through amber waves of grain on this one.  Just add liquid, your favorite morning spices, and a little bit of sweetener.  Let me know you variations!

And don't forget the coconut.

Today's verse:
"The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him."
Daniel 9:9

If that doesn't make your heart go coco-nuts, I don't know what will.  Praise the Lord for his mercy and forgiveness despite my often wayward heart.

1 comment:

Recent Popular Posts